Monday, June 17, 2013

Rethinking...

Started Janette Baker's Star of David runner from Learn To Tat in the wrong size thread. I was hoping to make it as a house-warming gift. I have come to realize the importance of using the correct gauge. I could make this in size 10 but would be refilling shuttles left and right. So, I've decided to use the correct gauge which means running out for more thread. This is as far as I was able to go.


I have switched gears to something I can accomplish with the thread I have on hand, Janette Baker's Josephine Ring Edge. I'm sure I'll find some use for it.


6 comments:

  1. Running out of thread is a problem, but your tatting looks great.

    Don't laugh (too loudly) but my first thought after reading, "...which means running out for more thread," was HURRAY, thread shopping!

    Tat on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah yes, thread shopping,a wonderful addiction for tatters! he he
    your tatting looks very good. and switching projects to what works is excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you have a Starlit shuttle? It would still need to be refilled, but not nearly as often. I think the Star of David runner would be beautiful in size 10!

    The Josephine Ring edge would look beautiful on a doily or hanky!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awe, to bad we don't live closer...I know I would have more of the thread you would need...! Actually you can use whatever size thread you want to, it just depends what size you want your project when your done. Don't ask me what size to use though, my favorites are starting from size 30 and going bigger!
    You are making great progress for a beginner, and your work looks nice and even to...good luck with what you decide on and I hope you get it done in time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both look really great!! :)
    I like to use a Tatsy shuttle(which seems huge compared to Clovers, but when I am working a larger project in size 10 I think it's much easier to deal with a huge shuttle than to rewind forever). :)
    Keep tatting you are doing great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all for the encouragement! I think I'll use the edging for a placemat as it's rather large. I'm a bit daunted by the amount of thread I have already acquired and hope to find projects that do everything justice.

    ReplyDelete