Monday, October 28, 2013

Expanding The Empire continues

A handful of posts ago, I mentioned meeting an antiques dealer who was interested in my work. We have been in contact over the last few weeks and I have decided to take part in her pop-up market. This will be my first booth, first sale, first a lot of things as far as lace is concerned. I am incredibly nervous.

As a result of this decision, I have begun tatting away at a brisk pace (roughly completing a piece every two days). So far I am enjoying the challenge of the project. I do not know where it will lead, but I feel good about it (despite the nerves). My focus right now is to get the tatting portions made and then team with my sister to complete the pieces. She has a great eye and I trust her taste in all things.

I have no illusions as to this marketing becoming more than an occasional thing. It was the persistence of this dealer, and perhaps a touch of my own vanity, that brought me to this point.  I have no plans involving Etsy or anything like that at this time. I intend to leave that to the pros until I have something to show for myself.

So, here's to a hectic couple of weeks! All prayers, good vibes, advice, and assorted happy thoughts appreciated.

6 comments:

  1. Good luck to you on this endeavor. One of the cool things about doing a booth is exposing more people to tatting and getting to talk about it to them. Whether you sell much or not it can still be a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tattrldy, I am looking forward to tatting and chatting that day. I'll have six solo hours at a table so I'll be talking to myself if nothing else! As to the selling, I only hope to break even. We'll see.

      Delete
  2. Good luck with your show! Your work is beautiful, so be sure to not let it go too cheaply. In my experience, people of means will happily spend money on fabulous items. People who are hard up (like us starving artists) just can't afford to buy, even if the price is low (and a low price is disrespectful of all the time and talent put into the item). For sure, you'll have lots of fun talking about tatting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the encouragement, Marilee. I am having difficulty with the pricing aspect, probably low-balling it a bit. Funnily enough, a nanny at my daughter's swim class is from the small town that is holding the show so I have a built-in test market. I'll see her twice more before it goes on and I think she may be willing to do a little word of mouth advertising for me. Yes, I am looking forward to demonstrating and talking about tatting while I am there.

      Delete
  3. That sounds like so much fun! I agree... Don't price your lace too low. I always try to keep n ind that lace used to be purchased only by the wealthy... with good reason!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You make a good point, Diane. Just because we are bringing tatting to the masses doesn't mean it has to come cheaply. If they want cheap, they can get machine-made. It has been suggested that I aim high and leave a little room for negotiation. Regardless, it looks like it will be a very fun afternoon and evening.

      Delete